3 Waterfalls, 2 bridges, 1 snake, and lots of flowers: Tunnel Hill Trail near Tunnel Hill

I was falling behind Laura in the Rec Your Quarantine challenge and needed to put on some miles so that I don't lose the bet.  It has been a bit warm for hiking with Lucy in the Ergo pouch, and she's not quite ready for the backpack, so we headed back to Tunnel Hill trail where I could push her in the stroller.  We had made it to the Breeden Trestle bridge last time, but I was hoping to go further this time and also came prepared with the cameras this time.

Soon after leaving the parking lot, we passed through the namesake tunnel. I was impressed by how much more vibrant green the vegetation along the rock walls was after all of our recent spring rains.






We didn't make it far from the tunnel before Lucy got hungry and demanded that we stop to sit on a rock for a bit.  While she was laying across my lap, I was delighted to notice the reflection of the tree canopy in her eyes as she stared at the leaves.


I could hear water rushing just beyond the rock walls.  OnX indicated that we could go about 20-30 yards off the trail at that spot before hitting private property, and I didn't see any markings or signage, so we hopped over the lip and found this little waterfall.  What a nice surprise!




I put some miles on while Lucy napped, stopping just long enough to photograph wildflowers along the way without staying too long and waking her up.











I was so happy that I noticed this little ringneck snake about two steps before the front stroller tire got to it. I swerved around it and then stopped for a few pictures.  The snake was inquisitive, coming closer to the lens and trying to smell me with its tongue.



We made it to the bridge at the south end of Bowman Lake (Little Cache Reservoir #1) and stopped for 2nd lunch.  Lucy enjoyed the break to wiggle on the bridge while I ate.



I loaded Lucy into the Ergo and we headed down to the spillway under the bridge.  There were several different layers of rock types.  I hear that there are fossils in the rocks, but Lucy wasn't being very patient, so I didn't investigate thoroughly.  I maybe saw a fern or bryozoan, but I'm not sure.  


At the end of the rock layers was a small waterfall down to the main creek below.  It had been raining in recent days, and in fact, we had to hide under some trees for a few minutes during lunch when the rain caught us on the bridge.




Water was gushing out of the structure that flows under the dam and was very foamy.  I loved these lily pads dancing in the current.




Then, it was back up to the stroller and time to head back towards Tunnel Hill, stopping occasionally for more flowers.










Back at the Breeden Trestle Bridge, I noticed the awesome symmetry of the handrail shadows right down the center of the bridge.  It took just a couple too many minutes to get setup for the shot and the symmetry was a bit lost, but I still enjoyed capturing this shot was the clouds raced by (this is a 50-second exposure equivalent)


During our previous visit, we checked out the waterfall and found it was a watertrickle.  I wanted to see if it was flowing any stronger after the recent rains, so we headed down the short trail to see.









I don't think that I saw a waterfall until I was something like 7-9 years old and we took a family trip to North Carolina.  I remember falling in love with the rushing water against the hard rock.  I think Lucy is blessed to have already experienced several waterfalls and she certainly seems in awe of them, even if it is just because they are sparkly.


After the waterfall, we made haste back to the parking lot and headed home.  It had been a pretty good trip and I had covered 9 miles, enough to put me comfortably ahead of Laura in the race...    ...for now.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our biggest adventure yet!

Western Shawnee driving tour with Mom

Overlooked but not underwhelming: Crab Orchard spillway

Old meets "young": Milky Way on the Cache River

Portrait sessions

Weekend getaway in the Missouri Ozarks: Part II

Bulge Hole Ecological Area: waterfalls, rainbows, and beautiful creeks

The Montana "Man Trip", part VIII: Webb Mountain Lookout

Ten-year anniversary camping trip - Part I: From IL to the campsite