Laura's short visit with parents for Dad's birthday

I was hoping to go home to Raleigh for the weekend of my Dad's birthday in April, but flight schedules and pricing made that a no-go.  My parents have made Orlando their vacation destination for golf, relaxation, and Disney, so I decided to check flights to meet up with them on their most recent trip.  Flights to Orlando from St. Louis are nonstop and affordable, making a quick weekend getaway an enticing proposition.  Mom was thrilled and we wrote up a card for Dad to open on his birthday, explaining that I would join them for a couple of days in a few weeks.  Dad expressed interest in fishing, as well as the EPCOT Flower and Garden Festival, so plans were a go!  First, we had a lovely day at EPCOT.  

Mom and Dad at Italy in EPCOT

Mom enjoying our lunch at a new restaurant for us, Via Napoli, which has pizza ovens named after Italian volcanoes. 

A browse through the Carbondale mall left me with no choice but to return home with this Hot Topic Little Mermaid dress, and I fit right in, since it happened to be Dapper Days at WDW.  Mom and Dad were also sporting Disney threads, with some original character attire from my childhood.  Topiary Lady looks both beautiful and skeptical at the same time.

The next day, Dad and I fished with an excellent guide, Captain Reno.  We met him at a chain of lakes, just south of Orlando and caught 30 bass in 3 hours!  Captain Reno said that the largest of our bass was only 3 lbs., but they seemed bigger to me.  Either way, we would highly recommend him. 




We finished off the day with a walk and some birdwatching at the lovely Bok Tower, where Mom and I spied some swallowtail kites and we were able to pish in some curious warblers.



Overall, it was a lovely visit with my parents, but, as always, felt too short.  Happy Birthday, Dad!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our biggest adventure yet!

Western Shawnee driving tour with Mom

Overlooked but not underwhelming: Crab Orchard spillway

Old meets "young": Milky Way on the Cache River

Portrait sessions

Weekend getaway in the Missouri Ozarks: Part II

Bulge Hole Ecological Area: waterfalls, rainbows, and beautiful creeks

The Montana "Man Trip", part VIII: Webb Mountain Lookout

3 Waterfalls, 2 bridges, 1 snake, and lots of flowers: Tunnel Hill Trail near Tunnel Hill

Ten-year anniversary camping trip - Part I: From IL to the campsite